Where Are the Protesters??!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 21 12:47:01 PST 2003

At 4:15 PM -0800 3/20/03, mike larkin wrote:
>I've gone to a couple protests here in CT since the bombing started
>last night, and the turnout has been low to non-existent. These
>articles confirm that, outside places like San Francisco, the
>numbers nationwide are indeed low, so far. Where is everybody?
>
>http://salon.com/news/feature/2003/03/20/protest/index.html
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/20/sprj.irq.war.protests.ap/index.html

Protests in Columbus, OH have never been able to match those of Chicago, San Francisco, and other big cities, but we're making progress in number, breadth, and militancy.

Tuesday, March 18: * Die-ins at 15th Ave. and High St., Noon-1 PM (about 30 people) and 5-6 PM (124 people).

Thursday, March 20: * a walkout of high school students, led by Rachel Levine. Columbus has strong secular Jewish voices for peace. * an interfaith prayer service for peace at First Congregational Church, 7 PM. Through the planning of this prayer service, a new group Faith Communities United for Peace was formed, led by a wonderful Methodist man John Wagner, who had already organized Methodists for Peace here. * a protest at the Federal Building, from 9 PM. About 1,000 showed up, chanting, drumming, speechifying, primal-screaming. Most drivers honked for peace enthusiastically, with only a few giving us thumbs down. We were wildly popular. Small groups decided to provide round-the-clock presence of dissenters at the Federal Building. We'll come out in force tonight at 9 PM again.

Our regular anti-war activities will also continue: * Weekly Vigils (Women in Black), every Friday, 5:30-6:30 PM, 15th Ave. and High St., Columbus, OH * Weekly Demonstrations, every Saturday, Noon to 1 PM, N. Broadway and High St., Columbus, OH * Weekly Demonstrations, every Saturday, Noon to 1 PM, Rt.161 (Dublin Granville Rd.) and High St. in Worthington * Weekly Demonstrations, every Saturday, Noon to 1 PM, Broad and Drexel in Bexley * Weekly Demonstrations, every Sunday, 5-6 PM, 15th Ave. and High St., Columbus, OH As you may see from the above locations, we now have neighborhood protest groups taking actions in places other than downtown and the OSU campus area. -- Yoshie