CD planned at the Oscars

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Mar 20 21:45:14 PST 2003

Emergency Anti-War Protest and Civil Disobedience at the Oscars in Hollywood

As the people of Iraq await imminent devastation at the hands of the United States, Hollywood prepares to celebrate the 75th Annual Academy Awards. The corporations that stand to profit from recognition at the Oscars are the very same media companies that continue to beat the drums of war to the detriment of peace, stability, and the security of the American people. At this critical juncture, with the Bush Administration launching an illegal and unjustified war, the Academy Awards is exceedingly untimely and inappropriate.

People of conscience, refusing to go on with business as usual, will converge at the Oscars, in peaceful protest and nonviolent civil disobedience. Because the Oscars are viewed in over 150 countries, our action will speak to the entire world as well as the Bush Administration. We rise up to say: The American people do not accept the legitimacy of this war and will actively oppose it.

On Sunday March 23rd, the night of the Oscars, we will breakaway from the main peace rally taking place on Orange Dr. south of Sunset, north of DeLongpre in Hollywood. At 3:30 pm we will assemble around the intersection of Orange Dr. and Sunset Blvd. to march onto the Oscars with the aim of shutting it down.

To help organize and/or endorse this event please contact: socalnowar at ziplip.com

Everyone is encouraged to attend a planning meeting on Thursday March 20 at 8:00 pm at Luna Tierra Sol Café, 2501 W. 6th St., Los Angeles

In addition, we call on people around the country to demonstrate on March 23 at their local ABC affiliate during the Oscar Broadcast. Around the world, take a stand against the war on Iraq by demonstrating at the Academy Award broadcaster in your country. For a complete list of international broadcasters for the show link to <http://www.oscars.com/oscarnight/broadcast_partners.html>http://www.oscars.com/oscarnight/broadcast_partners.html.

Call issued by the Southern California Anti-War Coalition

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030320/ec26af72/attachment.htm>