Some protesters charged with felonies?

Sat Mar 22 10:27:41 PST 2003

The right to vote is not directly related to protest politics. However, if protestors are unaware of the laws in their state, and are arrested and subsequently charged with (and convicted of) a felony, then they can loose their right to vote... in some states. The "felony tool" was used to disenfranchise approximately 80K voters during the 2000 elections in Florida.

My message is simple... protestors should understand the laws in their state so that they can ensure that they will have the ability to vote during the next election.

Steven wrote:

> I've just heard that some war protesters around the country have been
> charged with felonies. Has anyone else heard this?
>
> Of course, this would be a critical mistake, as a felony conviction
> can take away the right to vote in many states.

What _are_ you talking about. Whose mistake? What in the world does the right to vote have to do with protest politics?

Carrol