Support the Troops reduxe...

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Mar 22 08:41:47 PST 2003

Why aren't we protesting NPR, or the PR companies on K Street, or out in the neighborhoods? Here in DC, I just see a complete failure of strategy coming out of the traditional peace movement. Chuck0

--------

Cheer up, you're in the wrong part of the country. Out here locally there is virtually unanimous rejection of both Bush and the war down to the working class level---or at least the non-white segment. While the local tv media are mixed, they're only quibbling about the tactics. There was a fair amount of noise outside Bechtel HQ.

The action during the week started off very high and almost shut down SF on Thursday, with lulls on Friday, and there will probably be a large peaceful demo today, Saturday. Arrest reports are moving up to 2000. Don't know really, since I haven't turned on the tv or listened to the radio this morning.

>From Marta's report and some clips from LA, it looks like a similar,
but slightly lower level down there---which is very good news. There are also demos in San Jose and Sacramento.

Instead of the White House you might want to focus on Congress our dear leader's lap puppies and technically your city's board of administrators. Isn't there a Congressional committee or something that is supposed to oversee governance and budget for DC? I am sure they are slightly to the right of Attila the Hun but even so...

I had a terrible thought yesterday. After lunch and watching the shock and awe display (we dug up an old tv for the shop), I had this bad feeling that Bush might win this very quickly, very cleanly, with very few Iraqi casualties, that the Iraqis would welcome the troops into Baghdad. The entire US rightwing would be so firmly entrenched in the US, that it would never be removed, one of the most egregious actions the US ever under took would be completely vindicated, the whole liberal facade of international law and peace would evaporate under an Imperium Americus that would remain fixed in place for the next twenty years and there would absolutely no serious political opposition to the US rightwing ever again---at least not in my soon to disappear lifetime.

Their dream our nightmare...

Chuck Grimes