Robocop (Was Support the Troops)

Reese reeza at flex.com
Sat Mar 22 18:20:19 PST 2003

At 02:58 PM 3/22/2003 -0800, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Chicago cops are now out in full Robocop gear (donated. I am told, by
>Boeing!),no ID except helmet #s (on the back), and they're pretty nasty.
>Arguing with a Policve Commander on Thurs night -- I made it clear I wes
>speaking as an NLG legal observer (and anyway I was in a suit and tie)

I'll bet that made all the difference. And were you in T-shirt and jeans?

Why does it take the "suit and tie" appearance to make a difference? I'm reminded of a line from Orwell's most famous work.

>-- I told them that they knew that it was illegal to keep us penned up on
>the street; you know this, right, they blocked off Michigan Ave., forced
>thousands around to Chicago Ave., and blocked us off in a block of
>Chicago, arrested 500-800 people, picking them out of the crowd in ones
>and twos; and refused to let people go for two and a half hours; andnyawy,
>I told the commander that he knew this was illegal. He sais, Counselor,
>this aint a court of law. jks

I don't think it requires a leftist perspective to be upset at a boy and girl walking out of their apartment and being unduly harassed, as Marta described of her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend.

Even if it does, it shouldn't.

Reese