Robocop (Was Support the Troops)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 14:58:27 PST 2003

Chicago cops are now out in full Robocop gear (donated. I am told, by Boeing!),no ID except helmet #s (on the back), and they're pretty nasty. Arguing with a Policve Commander on Thurs night -- I made it clear I wes speaking as an NLG legal observer (and anyway I was in a suit and tie) -- I told them that they knew that it was illegal to keep us penned up on the street; you know this, right, they blocked off Michigan Ave., forced thousands around to Chicago Ave., and blocked us off in a block of Chicago, arrested 500-800 people, picking them out of the crowd in ones and twos; and refused to let people go for two and a half hours; andnyawy, I told the commander that he knew this was illegal. He sais, Counselor, this aint a court of law. jks

Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:For instance last night the LAPD shoved my daughter and her boyfriend around on the street outside his apartment building on Santa Monica blvd telling them they could not stand there. There were a group of protestors somewhere in the area - down a block or so. Is it a crime to stand on a street corner? John Johnson reported there had been more batoning of people at the Westwood Federal Building yesterday. The cops are dressing in full riot gear now. But if you want an overview report you could try the National Lawyers Guild in LA. They are handling many of the arrestees court issues and I'm sure they would know more than I do. BTW I missed the gathering today. Just to sore to make it. Marta

--