Riffing on the theme of awards...

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Mon Mar 24 02:00:10 PST 2003

Best spoken line, and best unplanned confluence of events so far today:

A BBC reporter managed to collar Iraq's Defense Minister in a hotel lobby in Cairo earlier today for an impromptu, unplanned interview, and among other things, the Minister stated that Iraq was mounting a strong defense against the U.S. in the present conflict, and that (paraphrasing), "When the grandfathers of George Bush were still in caves and living like animals, Iraq had physics, geometry...". At about the same time, from what must have been a nearby hotel lounge, the Gloria Gaynor hit "I Will Survive" started up on the sound system, just audible underneath the voice of the Defense Minister. The interview came to a close and faded on the lyric, "Go on now go, walk out the door, just turn around now, you're not welcome anymore...", and I wondered if Providence had provided this apropos backup for the Defense Minister as he upbraided the U.S. for its misdeeds...

(Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive": http://www.4lyric.com/show.php?lyric=626)

--

/ dave /