More on Moore

westrich at miser.umass.edu westrich at miser.umass.edu
Mon Mar 24 08:00:46 PST 2003

I did not see the Oscars but I did see part of the Independent Spirit Awards. Moore gave the exact same speech; no booing, some vigorous cheering, and mostly polite applause.

Another actor (I did not know his name but I have seen him in things, sorry) gave a longer, more carefully reasoned and moving speech later.

Jim

Quoting chris hurl <chris_hurl at hotmail.com>:

> I don't know if Michael Moore was necessarily booed. It seemed like an
> ambiguous response. Scorcese looked like he was about to start clapping.
> And ironically, a moment before he got a standing ovation. It seemed like
> the crowd was pretty divided between the peace-pin folks and the
> american-flag pin folks... Of course the media will describe it as outright
> booing.
>
> chris (long-time listener, first-time caller)

"In the paper today tales of war and of waste But you turn right over to the T.V. page

Hey now, hey now Don't dream it's over Hey now, hey now When the world comes in They come, they come To build a wall between us We know they won't win."

--Neil Finn, "Don't Dream Its Over"