POWs

jbrown72073 at cs.com jbrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Mar 24 14:03:55 PST 2003

Carl Remick:
>Yes, you must have skipped class the day Prof. Richard Perle
>explained all this. Perle says it's impossible for democracies to start
>wars; ipso facto, the US *cannot* be an aggressor.

Or it can't be a democracy. Slight chink, otherwise airtight.

Kelley:
>they don't give a rat's ass. the _only- thing that checks them is vocal
>opposition, not outcomes of their wars.

I'd have to disagree there. The primary cause of the withdrawal from Vietnam was the fight put up by the Vietnamese, only secondarily the opposition back home and the unruliness of the troops. These encouraged each other, of course. This assumes that there is a military objective, other than selling and consuming military hardware.

Jenny Brown