POWs

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 14:10:40 PST 2003

jbrown72073 at cs.com wrote: Carl Remick:
>Yes, you must have skipped class the day Prof. Richard Perle
>explained all this. Perle says it's impossible for democracies to start
>wars; ipso facto, the US *cannot* be an aggressor.

Or it can't be a democracy. Slight chink, otherwise airtight.

* * *

Years ago, when I was a prof, I taught a class on democracy, and was doing James Mill's utilitarian defense of the same; once of his arguments is that democracy enables people to get what they want, and so to be happier. This was at Ohio State, a fairly conservative school. So, I asked, what do people want? More money, education, health care, less work. etc. The students filled this in. And yet . . . So, what's the problem? Is there something wrong with Mill's theory, or is this not a democracy, or what? The students were fairly nonplussed by this result.

jks