The Independent on Iraqi strategy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 25 10:42:11 PST 2003

Alan Jacobson wrote:

>I just don't understand the US strategy:

Ask Rummy - it's all his idea. As BizWeek put it: "'Rummy' is the architect of a new kind of warfare that initially stirred controversy among the brass. Rather than follow the strategy of recent campaigns - a weeks-long air war followed by a ground invasion - the U.S. is likely to bomb Iraq for a day or two, while almost simultaneously unleashing a fierce ground war." That was written a few days before the war started, but it's turned out to be right, except they were imprecise about where the fierceness on the ground would be coming from. Franks wanted a rerun of GW I, with weeks of bombing. Rummy told him not to be an unimaginative pussy and just go for it.

Doug