Popular Uprising In Basra?

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Tue Mar 25 10:43:23 PST 2003

There is a link now. The British report a "popular uprising" by civilians which Iraqi troops are trying to put down with mortar fire. I guess we've moved to the Warsaw Ghetto phase of the story. An interesting quote from the story: "Our correspondent says British commanders concede that the Iraqis are dictating the battle plan in Basra, playing their strongest suit by drawing the British into urban warfare." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2886235.stm

-----Original Message----- From: mike larkin [mailto:mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 10:36 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Popular Uprising In Basra?

This phrase is running across the BBC web tickler at: http://news.bbc.co.uk. There's no linked article; not even sure what it means; uprising against Saddam? Against the U.S./British?

Has anyone heard about this?