Life and Death

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 26 08:34:40 PST 2003

Dennis Robert Redmond wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Kelley wrote:
>
> > I don't think any person who took the position that the best outcome for
> > the revo is that the US loses lotsa of troops actually wants to see Iraqis
> > die. I just think they forgot that along with US troops deaths come Iraqi
> > troop and civilian deaths.
>
> The problem is, they were dying already from Clinton's vicious and
> despicable sanctions regime,

This is the passage from Kelley's posts that I should have focused on, and perhaps some confusion would have been avoided. I hope my understanding of this is correct -- but even if it isn't, I will argue that unless Kelley meant what I am about to interpret her as meaning, she should have said it in different ways.

I don't see why anyone _should_ "remember" that Iraqi are dying. It is true that when I say I am glad I am here I am in fact celebrating the immense human misery that the neolithic revolution caused. But I don't feel that that is very relevant. Those people died, starved, were crippled independently of anything I think.

Iraqi are dying, as Dennis R says, not because we do or do not think about them dying but because Bush 1, Clinton, & Bush 2 have been busy killing as many Iraqi as they can.

So why does Kelley give a shit what people do and don't remember about the nature of combat?

I really don't understand what her point is if it is not to ask us to investigate our souls to see if we have the right motives for the right act.

The Iraqi are fighting. I wish them well in the fight, and will do my best to tie their enemy's hands or at least make the attack on them as clumsy as possible. Period. Nothing more to remember or forget. The state of my soul is not a proper topic for public discussion.

Carrol