Revolutionary Defeatism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 26 11:13:38 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I'm a self-identified Leninist here, and I'd like to hear what you
>don't like about what I say or why you find what I say irrelevant.

I have a lot of problems with your absolute certainty about so many things, which is probably as much a matter of temperament as philosophy. But I don't find what you say irrelevant. What I do find irrelevant is the whole vanguard party idea. In fact, I don't really understand what it means to be a Leninist in the USA in 2003. What's the program? What's the model of organization? Does it has anything to do with the Leninist parties that populate the fringes of the American left? If so, what's the plan to move out of the fringe?

Doug