Revolutionary Defeatism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 26 11:34:18 PST 2003

At 2:13 PM -0500 3/26/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>I'm a self-identified Leninist here, and I'd like to hear what you
>>don't like about what I say or why you find what I say irrelevant.
>
>I have a lot of problems with your absolute certainty about so many
>things, which is probably as much a matter of temperament as
>philosophy.

You don't want to go down the chart like the Dixie Chicks, do you? I know where I stand, and so should everyone, especially those who want to go against the powers that be, certainly in times of war and crisis of civil liberties.

At 2:13 PM -0500 3/26/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>But I don't find what you say irrelevant.

Why not, if Leninism is irrelevant? With absolute confidence I say I represent the best of American Leninist thought today. :->

At 2:13 PM -0500 3/26/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>What I do find irrelevant is the whole vanguard party idea. In fact,
>I don't really understand what it means to be a Leninist in the USA
>in 2003. What's the program? What's the model of organization? Does
>it has anything to do with the Leninist parties that populate the
>fringes of the American left? If so, what's the plan to move out of
>the fringe?

I don't think that Leninist parties = M-L formations -- ISO, RCP, WWP, Spartacists, etc. -- that we see in the United States today. Nor do I think that Leninism is wedded to what you think is a "vanguard party."

Political organizations are indispensable to any politics, however. What political organizations are viable depends on given historical conditions and social formations, so political organizations that work on the left differ from one era to another, from one nation to another, etc. Venezuelan leftists have found a form of organizing that would allow them to grow, come into power, defend what they have gained so far, and become prepared to go further if and when necessary to do so. So should we. -- Yoshie