Oscars/Academia

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Wed Mar 26 10:55:51 PST 2003

At 04:51 PM 03/25/2003 -0500, to my characterization
> > The Oscars are a three hour advertisement for Hollywood and the American
> > way (and a fashion show) disguised as an awards ceremony. I have watched it
> > off and on over the years. I don't know that I have ever seen a more
> > self-satisfied bunch of people all together in one place in my whole life.

Carrol wrote

>Oh Come now Joanna. Haven't you attended faculty meetings when you were
>teaching?

There's no comparison. Faculty were self-satisfied, but there was also tremendous anxiety....also there was a lot less networking going on in academia as there seems to be in Hollywood. One way or another, a movie IS a team effort. NOTHING is a team effort in academia; it's each man for himself. Hence, I suppose, the underlying anxiety.

Joanna