NYC die-in; 140 arrested

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 27 09:44:07 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Anti-War 'Die-In' Snarls New York
>
> NEW YORK (Reuters) - Police arrested more than 140 protesters who lay
> down in the middle of New York's 5th Avenue during Thursday morning
> rush hour as part of a "die-in" to protest the U.S.-led war on Iraq
> (news - web sites).
> [clip]
>
> The two-hour peaceful protest, which closed part of 5th Avenue and
> snarled city traffic, was the latest of several acts of civil
> disobedience and anti-war demonstrations in New York and other large
> U.S. cities.

It seems to me that these tactics could be carried out _without_ arrests. (I believe this was the case to some extent in SF on the first day of such protests.) If there are enough to divide up into smaller groups, each of which can block traffic in one spot for a few minutes, then depart before the police arrive, it should make for a grand traffic snarl, without all the hassle and expense (not just to the protesters, but to everyone who has to help bail them out, help in the defense, etc. When arrests pile up costs pile up -- resources that could be better used elsewhere.

I just don't see the point to "minor martyrdoms."

More uncivil disobedience -- take risks, but don't deliberately invite arrest.

Casualties (from small fines to death) are acceptable, but martyrdom (trivial or big) just isn't worth it.

Carrol