NYC die-in; 140 arrested

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Mar 27 10:14:15 PST 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

>I just don't see the point to "minor martyrdoms."
>
>More uncivil disobedience -- take risks, but don't deliberately invite
>arrest.
>
>Casualties (from small fines to death) are acceptable, but martyrdom
>(trivial or big) just isn't worth it.

These arrests don't even constitute risks and are a long way from martydom. Most likely the arrested people will get a "desk appearnce ticket," which is like a "post and show hearing." You are just told to show back up at a future hearing and then released. As far as New York City is concerned, most protest arrests of this kind are treated lightly. My roommate (who has been arrested 3 times in NYC in the past month) is telling me that NYC doesn't even consider these arrests as misdemeanors, more like protest traffic tickets.

Here in DC, the authorities are more into making your life miserable if you get arrested for anything. Several weeks ago, two members of the Green Party were arrested for wheatpasting. They were held overnight and then no-papered, i.e. released with no pending charges.

I think I agree with what you are saying Carrol, but I'm happy with anything right now that isn't another march and rally. My only criticism of civil disobedience like this is that I wish that more of it be directed at corporate media. Get arrested in the lobby of CNN or FOX News.

Chuck0