NPR on the war

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Mar 27 13:51:52 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Why the hell does anyone listen to NPR? It's boring as hell and utterly
> complicit with power.

Here, here! I know exactly how you feel. All Things Considered and Morning Edition have nothing in common with the shows that were such standouts 15 years ago. Those sometimes seemed on the verge of fostering a national conversation. But since then they've completely changed management, hemmoraged talent and reversed perspective. I can't bear them.

But Chuck0's right. Once you accept that they are no different from any other mainstream outlet, there's no reason not to listen to them when you feel compelled to listen to network news. They're no worse than any other mainstream broadcast outlet either. They're mainly the choice of people who don't own TVs :o)

Michael