The Innate Goodness of Brits

topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Fri Mar 28 07:04:18 PST 2003

I think I just heard a UK general say that the British are "uniquely placed" to win the battle for the hearts and minds becase "we British have an innate sense of what it's like for other people" to go through nasty regimes. I think he said that. Maybe I hallucinated, or maybe my radio is channelling V.S. Naipaul. Or maybe 700 years of genocidal British behaviour have just vanished into thin smoke now that the defense minister is some codger with scouse accent. Or maybe the unique aptitude of the British in this instance comes precisely with the colonialist knowhow you only get with having enslaved most of the world at one point or another. Or maybe the emphasis was meant to be on "other" people.

As Zizek has it, there are just too many meanings around. These press conferences are like fruit salad with anchovies and catsup.

Thiago

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au