Richard Perle resigns

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:52:28 PST 2003

>But I very much doubt that's at work now. Whatever their other
>professional faults, soldiers don't generally panic and play office
>politics one week into a war. And a two or three month war would not be
>ranked a disaster from their point of view. Real soldiers expect the
>unexpected. And hell, Afghanistan took almost 2 months before it was
>really finished, and three weeks before the tide was decisively turned.
>People's expectations are absurd. We've only been at war for 8 days!
>
>Michael

But these are. The V Corps Commander telling Washington Post reporters that this is not the war we planned to fight, and pulling 3 Infantry back into defensive positions (and 7 Cavalry out of the front line entirely. _National Journal_ reporters detailing how Rumsfeld cut the invasion force in half only four months ago, and messed up not just combat power but logistics entirely as a result. Everyone asking why the reserves--1 Cavalry and 1 Armor--are still at Ft. Hood and Weisbaden rather than in Kuwait (where reserves belong). A mass airstrike by retired generals. Guerrilla attacks by CIA analysts.

It's clear that the mood among the U.S. military planning establishment is that Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz are bad people who have to be gotten, and gotten now...

Brad DeLong