car drivers are now the enemy

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Mar 29 07:07:47 PST 2003

Central Iraq :: Gavin Hewitt :: 1430GMT

We are stalled on the highway at the moment but the biggest news today was when the radios crackled into life reporting an explosion further up the road at an American military checkpoint.

We were told a taxi stopped and when American soldiers approached it, it exploded and there were casualties.

There has been a lot of talk amongst the soldiers as this signifies something they didn't expect here - suicide bombers.

Already one commander has said to me: "If I see any civilian vehicle on this highway, either it gets off the highway or we shoot it off the highway". It does lend support to the feeling that these troops are a little bit embattled and that it's not going quite the way they imagined. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/world/2003/reporters_log/default.stm