Why Oil Is Not A Strategic Good

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Mon Mar 31 19:02:49 PST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:30:49 -0500

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Yup, which is one of the ingredients in the equation I
> was imagining that generated an ideal political and
> economic price for oil.
>
> I'm entirely willing to believe there's a
> sectoral/geographical interest in taking over Iraqi oil -
> the personnel roster of the Bush admin is a walking
> illustration of the point. But I don't think this
> translates into a broad interest of American capital.
> When the oil industry thrives, others wither.
>
> Doug

I'm thinking aloud here, so bear with me on this. Isn't it true that the USG partially subsidises oil imports? Isn't this one of our lines of defense against OPEC pricing? I don't know if there is any connection to the present discussion (or if it had been brought up before?)--maybe there is--maybe there isn't and I'm just too dense to figure it out. --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]