Sokhomlin / Venik / Iraqwar.ru

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 11:14:17 PST 2003

Kelley forwarded from Farber's list this bit from one George Michaelson about our friend Venik's translations from the iraqwar.ru site:

> Dave, I've begun to appear on the end of a chain of email quoting

> this guy Venik, translating iraqwar.ru into english. From what I can

> tell, the source is a Russian speaker living in the USA claiming to

> channel the GRU decoding US military radio.

> Frankly, it looks like bullshit.

This is bullshit squared. The iraqwar.ru site was featured in a Moscow Times piece by Larisa Naumenko on March 25th at <http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/03/25/044.html> No "Russian speaker living in the USA claiming..."

Accuracy is another question. My experience has been that all naif trust in US or other intelligence is mistaken. The casualty reports - if studied closely - are not that out of line with what is being admitted, however.

john mage