Sokhomlin / Venik / Iraqwar.ru

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Sat Mar 29 11:22:45 PST 2003

At 02:14 PM 3/29/03 -0500, John Mage wrote:

>Kelley forwarded from Farber's list this bit from one George Michaelson
>about our friend Venik's translations from the iraqwar.ru site:
>
> > Dave, I've begun to appear on the end of a chain of email quoting
> > this guy Venik, translating iraqwar.ru into english. From what I can
> > tell, the source is a Russian speaker living in the USA claiming to
> > channel the GRU decoding US military radio.
> >
> > Frankly, it looks like bullshit.

Thanks. I figured the claims were overwrought, but didn't know enough bout some of the issues and was, frankly too lazy to dig around.

>This is bullshit squared. The iraqwar.ru site was featured in a Moscow
>Times piece by Larisa Naumenko on March 25th at
><http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/03/25/044.html> No "Russian
>speaker living in the USA claiming..."
>
>Accuracy is another question. My experience has been that all naif trust
>in US or other intelligence is mistaken. The casualty reports - if
>studied closely - are not that out of line with what is being admitted,
>however.

Tiago, IIRC, said the numbers were in the hundreds, acc. to Venik. I took his word for it b/c I didn't have the patience to look through all the reports and do the math. So, you're saying that what's being reported in the media is accurate and so are Venik's translation of the GRS's numbers?

Kelley Tiago