Sokhomlin / Venik / Iraqwar.ru

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 17:25:22 PST 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, John Mage cited the Moscow Times:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/03/25/044.html

> The Internet site, www.iraqwar.ru, created especially to cover the war
> in Iraq by participants of the Military Historical Forum-2, at
> www.vif2.ru, has seen some 45,000 unique visits since the U.S. forces
> crossed the border in pursuit of Saddam Hussein, the site's spokesman
> Konstantin Prokhortsev said.
>
> He added that traffic might have been even higher had it not been for
> numerous attacks on the site from hackers since they launched the site
> last week.

Didn't the Pentagon set up an infowar/netwar division? Wouldn't hacking attacks like these be one of their primary tasks? They seem to be coordinated, comprehensive, immediate and effective. I'm not saying amateurs couldn't do it. But the more I think about, the more I can't think of a single reason the Pentagon wouldn't have thought of it, liked the idea, and be good at it.

Michael