Leninism 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 29 14:26:48 PST 2003

>>I'm with you on this. Someone at Zizek's Lenin conference said the
>>essence of L'ism was "concrete analysis of the concrete situation."
>>Which is fine, but instead I hear/see a lot of L'ists quoting the
>>guy as if he were scripture. And - given Ulhas' observation that a
>>vanguard party only makes sense in a revolutionary situation - we
>>even see a L'ist practice taken completely out of context. So it
>>seems to me that "Leninism" today is a floating signifier that can
>>mean anything people want it to mean. He does make a pretty cool
>>looking icon, a sinister counterpart to the sexy Che.
>>
>>Doug
>
>Charles: Well, "Leninism" today might mean a couple of different
>things. I don't know if it could quite mean just anything. Most
>importantly, Lenin can't mean bourgeois. Even Marx has been
>subverted by some bourgeois academics, but they could never do that
>with Lenin, well, not anytime soon. _The Communist Manifesto_ could
>become a coffee table book around Wallsteet. _The State and
>Revolution_ ? I don't think so. Lenin is not so much sinister, as
>scary _to the bourgeoisie_.
>
>Yes, I think he does stand as an icon of "revolutionary success",
>and so to many he represents hope for the next big revolutionary
>success. Also, I think his writing is pretty timelessly
>inspirational for those who dedicate themselves to the struggle on
>behalf of la damne de la terre. He's always good for a very plain
>and trenchant turn of phrase against the rich and powerful. And then
>as I say, he wasn't just shootin' the breeze. Everybody knows he was
>able to back up his words like nobody' s business. He was a real
>life exemplar of unity of theory and practice.

Anyone who has succeeded in leading some kind of revolution -- the American Revolution, the French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, the Chinese Revolution, the Vietnamese Revolution, the Cuban Revolution, the Iranian Revolution, the Bolivarian Revolution through Evolution, etc. -- have something practical to teach us. -- Yoshie