Daschle eats his words, and then some

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Sat Mar 29 15:07:24 PST 2003

But why does he think that the only option is to cave? This reminds me of Trotsky's comment regarding terrorists having no faith in the masses, it appears that apologizers haven't any as well. Doesn't he feel that he can assert the importance of trying to "think clearly, and not blame always blame those who disagree with us," and how his opponents are "taking the value of loyalty and turning into a blank check on America's future," blah blah blah?? Or is it that potentially critical Dems feel so outgunned in the media that they don't think they can get their point across, they'll just get O'Reillyed? My first reaction is to rail at their gutlessness, but is it based on a thoroughly pessimistic analysis of who controls political dialogue/symbolization processes?

Randy

I'm not sure what you expect- Daschle is from one of the more conservative

states and still denounced Bush's failures and has only apologized for the

timing of his remarks. Daschle hasn't even been a particularly strong

antiwar person-- he voted for the resolution last fall-- so what's the

point?

We do this game all the time-- ignore the two-thirds of House Dems who

voted against authorization for war, ignore Gore's denunciation of the war

leadup, downplay critical remarks on the war even from Dems who voted for

the fall resolution-- then claim, see there is no difference.

-- Nathan