Clausewitz lives

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Mar 29 18:11:12 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:08:16 -0500 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:

> I agree with Justin. Bush & Co. don't want to learn from Clausewitz
> -- fine. The Iraqis are, however, showing that they have learned
> from him, especially about "a people's war":

Also of interest is Col. Harry Summer's article "Clusewitz: Eastern and Western Approaches to War." http://www.airpower.au.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1986/mar-apr/summers .html

Colonel Summers notes that during the Vietnam War, General Westmoreland attempted to understand the North Vietnamese, by reading Mao, and the Chinese military philosopher Sun Tzu, both of whom, Westmoreland believed had influenced General Giap's strategic thinking. Summers suggests that Westmoreland was led astray in his reading, which led him to take Sun Tzu, a bit too seriously, while ignoring the Clausewitzian roots of Mao's strategic thinking, and more importantly, the Clausewitzianism of Giap. Basically, Summers thinks that Giap fought a Clausewitzian war, whereas the Americans under people like General Westmoreland did not.

Apparently, in regards to Iraq, history may be repeating itself once again, with the Iraqis attempting to wage war on Clausewitzian principles while Bush and company blithely ignore the teachings of the old Prussian officer. Christopher Bassford, a staunch Clauswitzian notes in "On War 2000: A Modest Proposal" http://www.clausewitz.com/CWZHOME/Complex/Proposax.htm

"Especially since 1991, when victory in the Gulf War and the collapse of the Soviet Union removed much of the emotional drive behind US military education, the serious study of Clausewitz in the PME schools has fallen into decay. Because much of the existing literature on Clausewitz explains his significance within an obsolete context, few educators are able to forcefully demonstrate his relevance in the post-Cold War world. Consequently, as one commentator notes, "The US Army War College's bust of Clausewitz has been moved from a prominent, shrine-like alcove to an off-center auditorium entrance, where it has a status somewhere between that of a Hummel figurine

and a hat-rack.""

Bassford also notes that Clauswitz tends to become popular in nations that have experienced military defeats or diasates, like Germany after 1848, France after 1871, Britain, following the Boer War, and the US in the wake of Vietnam.

Jim F.