Daschle eats his words, and then some

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Sun Mar 30 10:13:20 PST 2003

But Daschle does seem to think that unless he apologizes he will be in trouble, so he believes someone is paying attention. It's just not clear to me if he is being overwhelmed by public opinion's vagaries, or allowing himself to be overwhelmed in a masochistic, stupefying gesture. In that respect I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut in the first place, rather than say "Look at me, I'm powerful, and even I have to crumble and apologize."

Perhaps vagary is the right notion. And wouldn't the point be that once you don't simply submit, you have to keep a focus on yourself long enough to define your position, instead of just sticking your head up long enough to catch some stink, and then sinking out of sight, "tainted by controversy."

:
: Those who criticize the Dems put a lot of faith in the idea that the
masses
: are hanging on their words-- I actually think that most politicians have a
: more realistic view that they are far more likely to be overwhelmed by the
: vagaries of public opinion than effect it themselves.
:
: It's mass movements that have far more effect on public opinion over time.
: My basic view has always been that we (and evolving facts on the ground)
are
: the ones who change the opinion environment, and then the politicians
: follow. I just don't have the same expectations of politician-based
: leadership that this kind of criticism emphasizes.
:
: -- Nathan Newman
:
: