Daschle eats his words, and then some

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Mar 30 11:23:47 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "RE" <earnest at tallynet.com>

>But Daschle does seem to think that unless he apologizes he will be in
>trouble, so he believes someone is paying attention. It's just not
clear
>to me if he is being overwhelmed by public opinion's vagaries, or allowing
>himself to be overwhelmed in a masochistic, stupefying gesture. In that
>respect I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut in the first place, rather
than
>say "Look at me, I'm powerful, and even I have to crumble and apologize."

Actually I think it was more strategic than that, laying the political marker that Bush had screwed up the diplomacy then signing off for the duration. And he never apologized for the analysis, only for the timing-- which in many ways is a great way to appear to apologize while not withdrawing the substance of the criticism. When things go bad, despite official Dem support for the troops, the GOP won't be able to then say that it was really a bipartisan position.

Daschle and the Dems are trying to have their cake (criticize Bush) and eat it too (appear supportive of the troops). There may be better strategic ways to do it, but I think people are overemphasizing the apology and not enought the substance of the criticism.

-- Nathan