Pro-wars envy anti-wars' "deep pockets"

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Mon Mar 31 13:23:50 PST 2003

Maria Gilmore:
> This is always very scary to me when I see it in print or hear people say
> it. It's so disconnected from the truth, I wonder are these people
> deliberately lying their asses off?

I think their rank-and-file organizers really do believe it. They are always asking questions like "who pays for all the buses to these demonstrations?" They really don't understand the concept of bus tickets, or the idea that a lot of people would buy them.

If you ask them "Well, who do YOU think pays for the buses to all these demonstrations?" you don't get any answer. They don't say it's Jewish bankers or Arab oil sheiks or Russia etc. They just think in terms of shadowy powerful forces of evil. It's as if they think we are funded by SPECTRE or KAOS or THRUSH.

By the way, this is how you know you're dealing with a genuinely proto-fascist movement. The ordinary right wing organizes the privileged in self-defense against the demands of the less privileged. To get a real fascist movement going, you have to somehow organize people who are NOT very privileged and convince them they are defending themselves against powerful conspiracies.

As an aside, the other day I was in a situation where I had no choice but to listen to 15 minutes of a right-wing talk show. The host was "proving" that Saddam was in league with al-Qaeda. Here was his proof: last year they discovered an official al-Qaeda manual with instructions to murder various Arab leaders, and "guess whose name wasn't on that list?" Anyone who would deny the power of such proof is just willfully obtuse.

LP