Iraq War: Not About Oil, but Euros vs. Dollars

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 31 17:27:02 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> It sounds too much like single bullet theory to me. Perle & Co. have
> been plotting war on Iraq since 1991, when the euro was only a gleam
> in a eurocrat's eye. And if the U.S. ends up seriously alienating our
> creditors, that'll do more damage to the dollar than Saddam ever
> could.

The critiques of this theory on pen-l were fairly convincing in strictly economic terms. There still remains the question for me of why most of the metropolitan dailies (which I assume [?] represent a fair cross-section of the ruling class) are either going along with a few murmurs of dissent or are actively supporting Bush. Bush, Perle, Cheney, may be cultists. Why does the ruling class accept such leadership?

I still am attracted by the point Justin phrased well: having an army in the midst of mideast oil puts the US thumb on the carotid artery of the EU, Russia, and China. (Russia can produce oil for its own use of course, but control of mideast oil can allow the u.s. to manipulate the international market , which could hurt Russia???)

Carrol