Iraq War: Not About Oil, but Euros vs. Dollars

Mon Mar 31 22:36:32 PST 2003

Steven wrote:

>>I'm very surprised that we have yet to see a major attack on the USD.
>>How far do you think events need to spiral downward before we will
>>witness the tipping point for the USD?

>If I knew the answer, I'd be busy setting up a futures position, and
>I wouldn't tell anyone else. But I don't, so I'm not.

>Doug

The USD tipping point might be getting closer......

Indonesia considers switch from dollar to euro

JAKARTA - Echoing a wider move away from the US dollar, the Indonesian government and the central bank, Bank Indonesia, may begin to use the euro in export-import transactions and foreign-exchange reserves.

The statement was made by Finance Minister Boediono, Bank Indonesia governor Syahril Sabirin and senior deputy governor Anwar Nasution here on the weekend in connection with state oil company Pertamina's plan to use the euro in its trade transactions. "The US dollar is now still dominating trade. It is possible to use [the] euro when it replaces the dollar's position," the minister said.

Boediono said that if the US dollar continues to weaken compared with other foreign currencies including the euro, users of the greenback may seek more stable currencies.

(Asia Pulse/Antara)

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/ED01Ae04.html