[lbo-talk] Re: historical info

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Thu May 1 10:07:32 PDT 2003

At 06:21 AM 05/01/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Define "Jewish".

Not sure why you ask. Basically, I'm helping my son write a research paper.

I was curious what percentage of the jewish population of Europe was killed in WWII and also what percentage of the jewish population currently lives in Israel. The answer, according to quoted figures is: 50% of the Jewish population of europe were killed in WWII, currently 37% of world jews live in Israel. The latter figure is more suspect, as the source of the data does not regard assimilated jews nor jews who intermarry as jews. So the 37% figure is not terribly meaningful.

I am aware that the definition of Jewish is no more straightforward than the definition of Christian. If you have anything to contribute that might help me think this through, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joanna