[lbo-talk] Re: who is Jewish

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Thu May 1 15:37:37 PDT 2003

At 02:54 PM 05/01/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>But Justin's point is that there is no "proof". It all depends because
>there is a complicated anthropology of the odd intersection of Jewishness as
>race, Jewishness as religion, and Jewishness as culture.

I wasn't speaking of metaphysical or logical proof. I was just referring to what would constitute proof to various different groups. My father was Jewish (it said so on his birth certificate) my mother was Greek Orthodox. If I had lived in Germany in WWII, I would have been a lampshade. If my father had emigrated to Israel when we left Romania, I might have gotten spat on and, certainly, the parents of potential Jewish boyfriends would have nixed me from the get go. In my 98% jewish high school in LA, this is indeed what happened. To some christians in Romania, I was a "dirty jew."

> The Right of Return is as much about saving people from
>discrimination based on an external definition of Jewishness that is
>separate from internal Jewish definitions of Jewishness.

If you want to save people from discrimination, you fight against discrimination. Period. You don't drive 3/4 of the population of an entire country out, steal their land and their property and then continue to terrorize the ones who remain.

Joanna