[lbo-talk] outsourcing BS production

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat May 3 21:42:13 PDT 2003

On Fri May 3, 2003 Joanna Bujes

>The jobs are leaving. They are going, going, gone. I flatter myself that
>because technical writing still fares best when done by a very skilled
>English speaker/writer, my job will be secure for a while.

Joanna, I hope you keep your job as long as you want it.

But when it comes to planning for the future, I feel compelled to note that there are literally millions of very skilled English speaker/writers in India. The Indian middle class is almost equal to the population of the entire United States, and most of it speaks and reads at least some English. To judge by their novelists, in the highest reaches of this talent pool they write English better than I do. So I think at least the next few percentiles would have to be regarded as stiff competition if they took up an offer to do your job at a tenth the wage.

Michael