[lbo-talk] Banned in Boston

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 07:55:54 PDT 2003

>From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net>
>

> >...During the Soviet regime, Western observers believed that 800 to 1,000
>(gay)men were imprisoned each year under Article 121 (States News Service
>28 May 1991; The San Francisco Chronicle 18 Oct. 1992).
--- Probably not for being gay; homosexuality was probably used as an excuse to get rid of people someone in the gov. didn't like. That was how laws worked in the Soviet Union. ---

>Query:
>
>How have homosexuals been treated in Russia, in 1991 and presently?
--- Last year someone in the Duma suggested a law outlawing male homosexuality (female homosexuality has never been outlawed). Zhirinovsky, being Zhirinovsky, had to outdo him by suggesting "We should ban lesbianism too!" It never went anywhere.

It is actually rather trendy in Russian high society to be gay, or at least appear to be gay. Tatu, Boris Moiseyev, Gosti iz budushchego, the list goes on... There are several gay clubs in Moscow.

As an aside, almost no HIV is contracted in Russia from homosexual sex. People are surprised to hear that AIDS is associated with homosexuality in the West.

_________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963