[lbo-talk] Re: ______ and America

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 6 13:25:43 PDT 2003

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>I would suggest as a tonic here the chapters in _Fanshen_ in which
>>Hinton details the frustration felt by the CPC group in Longbow at their
>>inability to get any of the peasants to stand up in an open meeting and
>>give evidence of the injuries they had suffered.
>
>And how is that relevant to life in the United States in 2003?
>
>Doug

It's hard for the oppressed and exploited to stand up and speak up, even when doing so is encouraged, as in the Chinese Revolution; it's harder to do so when doing so is discouraged, as in the USA today.

"Peter Feaver of Duke University, in a book on public opinion and war, writes that 30 percent of the American public is always ready to fight and will support almost any war....On the other hand, Feaver says 10 percent of Americans are pacifists and consistently oppose all military action" (Joan King, "Opinion Polls on War Misleading," <http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20030218/opinion/1007540.html>). 10% of the US population would be about 30 million, but we have yet to see all 30 million of them out in the street at the same time.

I would be very happy if one in ten Columbus residents came out to an anti-war protest. -- Yoshie