[lbo-talk] Perils of Racism (was Re: Wojtek and America)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 6 14:37:50 PDT 2003

At 10:38 AM -0700 5/6/03, joanna bujes wrote:
>But, this is not to say that American unconsciousness is not a problem.

It's not so much an "American" problem as a "white" problem.

At 2:22 PM -0500 5/6/03, Carrol Cox wrote:
>It makes perfectly good sense for most people to simply concentrate
>on living their lives as best they can, and if that includes taking
>it for granted that the politicians in D.C. are telling the truth,
>then that makes perfect sense too. And I find complaints about them
>offensive. That we (or some of us) are in a position to know better
>ought to be seen as our luck, not their fault.

Most blacks, too, try to simply concentrate on living their lives the best they can, but doing so, for blacks (or at least about 80% of them), seldom seems to include "taking it for granted that the politicians in D.C. are telling the truth." -- Yoshie