[lbo-talk] Re: Wojtek and America

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed May 7 02:27:46 PDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> The only semi-radical reform this country experienced, the New Deal, has
> been dismantlend and reversed. That tells volumes about the chances for
> any progressive social changes.

Does it? The New Deal arrived a decade after the Palmer Raids, one of the worst waves of anti-radical repression in US history. And the 20s were a decade of capitalist excess and reactionary self-congratulation. And then quite unexpectedly things changed, both politically and economically. And under what should have been the worst possible conditions we got our most progressive government.

The future is more indeterminate than you give it credit for, Woj.

Michael