[lbo-talk] Out of the USA? (was Re: Wojtek and America)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 6 15:20:55 PDT 2003

At 10:32 AM -0700 5/6/03, joanna bujes wrote:
>Anyway, I think about emigrating every day.

At the beginning of the first quarter after 9.11, the OSU admin sent a memo to all teachers about how to handle student reactions to it. I wish I had kept it, but I must paraphrase it out of memory. One of the suggestions in the memo was for foreign-born teachers -- especially of the Middle Eastern descent -- to go to classes on the first day of the quarter accompanied by US-born teachers. When I read it, I thought that my days in the USA might be numbered.

Since 9.11, there has been no terrorist attack of the same magnitude inside the USA. I wonder how Americans will react if two, three, or more terrorist attacks on the scale of 9.11 happen here. -- Yoshie