[lbo-talk] Re: Wojtek and America

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue May 6 12:26:01 PDT 2003

> Anyway, I think about emigrating every day. I think about my children
> growing up in a saner world and in a world in which the "social" has a
> positive meaning. I'm not sure where that world is, Kerala? Part of my
> problem is that my family and friends are in the bay area and I would have
> to give that up. Part of my problem is that I think that if all the good
> people leave, then America will really be horrible and even more
dangerous.
> Part of my problem is that I already lived through such a "move" when my
> parents moved from Romania to the U.S., and that was the most traumatic
> thing I've ever experienced.
>
> I welcome any further discussion on this topic because, as I said, I do
> think about it every day.
>
> Joanna

Apart from vague dreams of living in Spain (near Barcelona), I really don't think I'll be relocating any time soon, esp with school-age kids in tow. Fact is, there are assholes everywhere. When I lived in Manhattan, I schmoozed with all manner of clever, upper-crust folk, Ivy Leaguers, Hamptonites, professional writers and actors, activists, academics, and in general the type of people "average" citizens only read about, to the extent that they do. And save for a few exceptions, the bulk of the intelligent crowd is pretty insufferable, self-absorbed, petty, bitter and mean. I always thought, growing up in the Midwest and dreaming of the day when I'd move to the Apple, that this was the crowd for me; that it would take me beyond the cud-chewing morons of my youth and bring me to a place of true learning and deep understanding. Well, it did put me in touch with some decent books and fine music, but that was pretty much it.

Now, back in the Midwest, I see what I missed the first time around -- common folk open to new ideas and wanting to get past the official version of events. Not that this is widespread, but where it does exist, at least in my direct experience, it appears genuine. I was in central Indiana for a wedding last weekend, and the night before I hung out with a relative's gang of buds in his driveway, drinking beer and shooting shit. They were all right-wing Repubs, a real Rush gang, so there was pro-war whooping, Dixie Chick bashing, and overall hatred of li'bruls. I stood there, took it in, waited for an opening, and when it came I gently went against the tide (such as it was) and made them think about their casual statements. One by one they sort of backed off, shrugged their shoulders, looked for and didn't find an alternate argument. Using what persuasion I possess, I made a couple actually rethink what they said. The high-fiving jive-ass frat boy braying cooled, and I could see that while they still held the same beliefs, they took the challenge to their beliefs seriously. As my relative said afterward as we opened an ice cold bottle of Stoli, these guys aren't used to being pushed in their thinking, and however uncomfortable it made them feel, they were open to it. And this was with the very people this list blasts everyday. Who knows what could happen if we talk to those not so far right?

DP