[lbo-talk] Re: ______ and America

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Wed May 7 01:43:33 PDT 2003

At 2:22 PM -0500 6/5/03, Carrol Cox wrote:
>It makes perfectly good sense for most people to simply concentrate on
>living their lives as best they can, and if that includes taking it for
>granted that the politicians in D.C. are telling the truth, then that
>makes perfect sense too. And I find complaints about them offensive.
>That we (or some of us) are in a position to know better ought to be
>seen as our luck, not their fault.

Agreed on the first part. That's true of people all over the world, yours truly included.

On the second part -- in many places, people are much more cynical about their politicians and what they say. Then there's always that thing about 'politics is dirty', part of commonsensical cynicism. So why is it the case that in the US, if what you say is true, people take it for granted that the politicians in DC are telling the truth?

kjkhoo