[lbo-talk] Taliban appears to be regrouped and well-funded

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 08:17:37 PDT 2003

>I am rather surprised at how quickly the US seems to have gotten bored of
>its Afghan toy. I expected at least some kind of token effort to develop
>the
>country and forestall just this sort of - entirely predictable - problem.
>Do
>you think that the Russians will be proven right in their forecasts of doom
>and withdrawal for the US forces?
>
>Thiago

Only if they actually try to occupy and develop the whole country, like the USSR did (would be interesting to compare the differences between Soviet and us "rebuilding"). The USSR took Afghanistan in something like, what, two weeks? Then it tried to centralize control in Kabul and impose order on the country. Doesn't look like to US is trying to centralize anything . They're just holed up in the capital.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail