[lbo-talk] Re: A Call to Bring the Settlers Home to Israel

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 8 14:32:57 PDT 2003

>>Brit Tzedek v'Shalom/the Jewish Alliance for Justice and Peace, "A
>>Call to Bring the Settlers Home to Israel":
>><http://bringthemhome.btvshalom.org./>.
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>Shouldn't that be "A Call to Bring the Settlers Home to Brooklyn" ?
>
>Shane

I don't have newer stats than the following:

***** Demographics Jewish Emigration Patterns Confound The Planners June 1994, Page 45

...The fear of intermarriage often is cited as a major reason for emigration of American and Canadian Jews to Israel. Although such emigration climbed by nearly 40 percent from 1992, it still was a minuscule 3,957 in 1993. At present, there are said to be some 130,000 American Jews living in Israel, comprising about 3 percent of the Jewish population there.

Some of the most liberal and tolerant Israeli citizens are of American origin. Ironically, so are some of the most radical and bigoted among the Jewish settlers in occupied areas. Fifteen percent of those Jewish settlers are American.

"Israel has become a dumping ground for some of the dreck (trash) of American Jewry," according to Allon Gal, professor of American Jewish history at Ben-Gurion University in Beersheva. "They came in the 1980s in an atmosphere created by the Likud Party, which gave them the feeling that people could live here like the white man in America 200 years ago with the Indians. Except instead of Indians they are Palestinians."

Of the North American Jewish emigrants to Israel, nearly half were from the New York area. By contrast, some 500,000 Israelis live or work in the United States, 200,000 of them, in New York, according to staff writer Daniel Schiffin of the Jewish Week of Queens, New York....

<http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0694/9406045.html> ***** -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>