[lbo-talk] Soft Drink of the Real

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri May 9 19:12:33 PDT 2003

Quoting joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at sun.com>:

> At 08:57 PM 05/08/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >Is it just me, or are the Wachowskis pulling off one of the great media
> >burns of
> >all time with those Matrix II Powerade ads?
>
> What are they?

I noticed them during the NBA playoffs. They're all slightly... wrong, and the closer you look, the more the wrongness grows. The best one shows one of the Agents staring at us behind mirrorshades, as if we're a suspect being interrogated. He reels off some spiel to the effect of, "So you've been hearing rumors that reality is nothing but a giant computer simulation, an illusion designed to control you" etc. with a glistening Powerade on the desk to his left. He pauses, and then says, "Whatever gave you *that* idea?" Utterly deadpan. Cut to Powerade exploding. Cut to streaming glyphs announcing opening day.

Powerade *is* an official partner of Warner's marketing, along with Cadillac and, I believe, Samsung. But the Wachowskis had a hand/pseudopod/tentacle in almost all the spinoffs, including the videogames and anime releases. A global roadshow for the global village.

-- DRR