[lbo-talk] Re: Lbo-talk digest, Vol 1 #345 - 10 msgs

BradHatch bradhatch3 at earthlink.net
Sat May 10 16:47:31 PDT 2003

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org>
> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Cuba Petition
> Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 19:06:01 -0400

Mexicos
> >human rights record in Chiapis?
>
> First, what are you talking about? Human rights activists and unions have
> been screaming about the murder of Columbian unionists as one of their top
> issues for a number of years. And Chiapas has been a top item among left
> activists since 1994. Cuba is not worse in jailing so many dissidents
than
> Columbia, but it should be condemned just as we condemn the murder of
> Columbian unionists.
>
> -- Nathan Newman

But Nathan, my point is that the human rights records of these other countries hardly get the attention they deserve by our government and the mainstream media while every human rights offense in Cuba is scrutinized and treated as if it's so unusual. And like just about everyone else on this list I to think the Cuban regime does deserve some critisism but not without pointing out the regional and historical context of these human rights abuses. I'd like to ask you the other participants of this list who have more knowlege of Cuban history than I do, if you think human rights in Cuba are worse than they were under the US backed Batista regime? Also, are these abuses worse than in other countries in the region that are under US control politically and economically? And if the answer to these questions is no, then I would think it's hypocritical to be signing a petition condeming a regime whose human rights record is much better than those in the region under US hegemen.