[lbo-talk] Help wanted on proposed new overtime laws

Brian O. Sheppard bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Wed May 14 09:20:15 PDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, W. Kiernan wrote:

> Do I have this right? This is the story I've been telling people at
> work today, who to a man insist I must be mistaken, it can't be so, as
> it would obviously be mass political suicide for those fine, patriotic
> Republicans:

That's the National Assoc. of Working Women's take on it. As well, the North American Alliance for Fair Employment states:

"If the bill passes [The "Family Time Flexibility Act" HR 1119/S. 317] employers may establish a biweekly work program of 80 hours; only hours in excess of the total of 80 hours are considered overtime hours. Employers may require that an employee work 50 hours in one week and 30 hours in the next, without incurring any overtime costs. Employers may offer time off in lieu of overtime pay, but scheduling time off is left to the employer's discretion, not the employee's." [http://www.fairjobs.org/fairjobs/news/flexibility.php]

Brian