[lbo-talk] Menem gives up; Kirchner to be president

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Wed May 14 21:28:00 PDT 2003

Folha Online

Menem Confirms Withdrawal and Escapes Humiliating Defeat

João Sandrini

Argentinian ex-president Carlos Menem (1989-1999) confirmed today that he has withdrawn from the second round of presidential elections. With this announcement, his rival Néstor Kirchner, also a Peronist, will be the new president and the election scheduled for this Sunday (18 May), cancelled.

"There are no conditions for a second round. I won the first round and I am leaving. We triumphed against the world.", said Menem in a brief declaration at gardens of the Governor's Residence at de La Rioja, Anillaco

(...)

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/mundo/ult94u56855.shtml